Archdiocesan Shrine of Espiritu Santo
Espiritu Santo Parish, now known as the Archdiocesan Shrine and Parish of Espiritu Santo, is a Roman Catholic parish belonging to the Archdiocese of Manila that is located along Tayuman Street corner Rizal Avenue, Santa Cruz manila.
In 1913, a public cemetery where the church now stands, was closed due to health concerns. Espiritu Santo Parish was established on December 19, 1926, and placed under the administration of the Divine Word Fathers (SVD). Fr. William Finneman, SVD was its first parish priest.
In December 1931, Fr. Jose Duserhund took over as parish priest. A crypt containing 444 niches built underneath the altar were sold to local residents. The proceeds were used to construct the church. Its church was fully completed and solemnly blessed on May 14, 1932, on the occasion of the Parish fiesta.
The church remained standing and unscathed during the Japanese occupation in the Philippines and battle for the liberation of Manila.Mr. and Mrs. Jose G. Lopez of Job Lema donated the image of the Blessed Trinity in 1951, sculpted by the popular Maximo Vicente including its carriage.
On September 29, 1952, a Tabernacle costing eight thousand pesos arrived from The United States of America.