San Nicolas de Tolentino Church
The Iglesia de San Nicolas de Tolentino was the home of the Augustinian Recollect Order. The church was the Order’s main headquarters in Asia. The Recollects are a reformed branch of the Augustinian Order. They arrived in Manila in 1606. It formerly housed the Nuestro Padre Jesús Nazareno or more commonly known as the Black Nazarene. Yes, the Black Nazarene as in the one in Quiapo today. The Recollects brought it to the country in 1606. The church was known for its stately ambiance, often compared to its neighbor, the San Agustin Church.Located along Calle Cabildo, it was famous for its beautiful interiors, its 5-tier belfry and its elaborately carved facade. The church’s facade.
This late 18th-century church was characterized by a four-story bell tower of diminishing dimensions built to the left of the church. The church was cruciform, with a crossing tower covering the intersection of main nave and transept. The church facade was similar in temper to the Franciscan’s but less the ornate and more architectural.