Binondo Church early 1900’s.
It was built by the Dominicans. Founded in 1596, a church had been constructed before 1614. When transferred to its present site in the 18th century, a new church was built to accommodate new churchgoers. In 1778, the roof was replaced with nipa as the wood was destroyed by termites. In 1863, the church was slightly damaged by earthquake. The original structure has sustained damages during wars and various natural disasters.
The altar of the church is loosely based from the St. Peter’s Basilica in the Vatican.
Binondo Church has been reconstructed many times due to natural calamities and only the Bell Tower is what remained of the original 16th century structure, it has retained the classic architecture that makes the place a wondrous sight for the most unforgettable occasion.